I just know this will be the recipe my kids take with them when they leave home. It’s a great informal Friday-night…
Silver Spoon Scallops with Japanese Salad and Wasabi Lime Cream
It's important to cook the scallops on a very hot griddle so that they caramelise and don't stew.
Recipe and image from Homemade: simply delicious food by Anna Gare, published by Fremantle Press. Photographer Robert Frith.
- 1⁄2 teaspoon finely chopped ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
- dash of peanut oil
- 12 scallops, cleaned and with roe removed
- 120 g Japanese wakame seaweed salad (available from Asian supermarkets, freezer section)
- 1⁄2 small cucumber, cut into fine julienne strips
- WASABI LIME CREAM
- 2 tablespoons Japanese mayonnaise (available from Asian supermarkets)
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped pickled ginger
- dash of wasabi paste, to taste
- squeeze of lime juice
Mix the ginger, garlic and peanut oil in a bowl and add the scallops.
To make the salad: Combine the cucumber and seaweed in a bowl.
To make wasabi lime cream: Mix together the mayonnaise, pickled ginger, wasabi and lime.
Place a small amount of salad on each spoon, followed by a dob of wasabi lime cream.
Sear the scallops on a hot griddle for about 1 minute on each side until they are medium-rare (the cooking time will depend on the thickness of the scallop).
Place the scallops on top of the salad in the spoons and serve immediately.