There’s nothing like a hot muffin straight out of the oven, and these little beauties are buttery, moist and…
Silver Spoon Scallops with Japanese Salad and Wasabi Lime Cream
It's important to cook the scallops on a very hot griddle so that they caramelise and don't stew.
Recipe and image from Homemade: simply delicious food by Anna Gare, published by Fremantle Press. Photographer Robert Frith.
- 1⁄2 teaspoon finely chopped ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
- dash of peanut oil
- 12 scallops, cleaned and with roe removed
- 120 g Japanese wakame seaweed salad (available from Asian supermarkets, freezer section)
- 1⁄2 small cucumber, cut into fine julienne strips
- WASABI LIME CREAM
- 2 tablespoons Japanese mayonnaise (available from Asian supermarkets)
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped pickled ginger
- dash of wasabi paste, to taste
- squeeze of lime juice
Mix the ginger, garlic and peanut oil in a bowl and add the scallops.
To make the salad: Combine the cucumber and seaweed in a bowl.
To make wasabi lime cream: Mix together the mayonnaise, pickled ginger, wasabi and lime.
Place a small amount of salad on each spoon, followed by a dob of wasabi lime cream.
Sear the scallops on a hot griddle for about 1 minute on each side until they are medium-rare (the cooking time will depend on the thickness of the scallop).
Place the scallops on top of the salad in the spoons and serve immediately.